Welcome to our website
We Episcopalians believe in a loving, liberating, and life-giving God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We are members of The Episcopal Church in the United States, as constituent members of the Anglican Communion, we are descendants of and partners with the Church of England and the Scottish Episcopal Church, and are part of the third largest group of Christians in the world. In Minnesota, we are part of the Episcopal Church of Minnesota.
We believe in following the teachings of Jesus Christ, whose life, death, and resurrection saved the world.
We have a legacy of inclusion, aspiring to tell and exemplify God’s love for every human being; women and men serve as bishops, priests, and deacons in our church. Laypeople and clergy cooperate as leaders at all levels of our church. Leadership is a gift from God and can be expressed by all people in our church, regardless of sexual identity or orientation.
We believe that God loves you – no exceptions.
The mission of the church, as stated in the Book of Common Prayer’s catechism (p. 855), is “to restore all people to unity with God and each other in Christ.”
As part of that mission, we’re following Jesus into loving, liberating and life-giving relationship with God, with each other and with the earth as the Episcopal branch of the Jesus Movement. We seek every day to love God with our whole heart, mind and soul, and to love our neighbors as ourselves (Matthew 22:36-40).
For the Episcopal Church, the Jesus movement calls us to focus on three specific priorities:
Listen for Jesus’ movement in our lives and in the world. Give thanks. Proclaim and celebrate it! Invite the Spirit to do the rest.
Embody the loving, liberating, life-giving way of Jesus with each other.
Encounter and honor the face of God in creation.
A brief history of St. John’s Episcopal Church of Mankato
Mankato was a frontier town in 1856, when the first Episcopal service was celebrated in a small log building on North Broad Street. In 1860, Henry Benjamin Whipple, Bishop of the Diocese of Minnesota, held a worship service at Mankato’s mission. In 1866, St. John’s parish was organized. A church was built the next year on the corner of Warren and Broad Streets. A bell tower and parish hall were added later. That church building was demolished in 1966. Our current church, built on that same site, was dedicated on October 15, 1967. During the past 155 years, there have been 27 rectors.